Monday, September 24, 2012

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Conundrum


Chocolate chip cookies, delicious, gooey, comforting, crisp yet soft, and that smell.  Mmmm.  The cookie that is the epitome of cookie and everybody has their own preference.  Some like them soft and a little underbaked, then there are the ones who like them rock hard, perfect for dipping in milk.  Then there is the debate between semi-sweet chips or milk chocolate perhaps even dark chips.  And of course we can't forget the possible addition of oatmeal or nuts.  Then the debate of margarine vs. butter.  Beware rant coming...

Now, there are roughly a million different chocolate chip cookie recipes, (I've counted), and each claims they are the best, each claims they have unlocked the secret to the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  Now my husband is a big fan of cookies and will eat about anything, literally anything, but he has commented on how he has never truly loved any chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I, as a devoted wife and slightly (cough) competitive person, have made it my mission to find THE perfect chocolate chip cookie.  I have gone through about a hundred recipes as of now and there have been some disasters and some decent cookies, but never the ultimate cookie.  It has been slightly frustrating as I have had too flat cookies, too puffy, too buttery, too cakey, etc...

This is a call for help.  If anyone knows of THE perfect chocolate chip cookie* and would like to share the recipe I would be ETERNALLY grateful as would my descendants, (maybe you will get a child named after you- just sayin...) 


*You may not be offended if your recipe does not pass the Chellin test, many have tried and many have failed.  We are a tough crowd.  But we thank you for the effort.


5 comments:

  1. If you find your perfect recipe, sharing is a must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take all of the so called "rejects" in a heart beat

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHELS! Hi. I miss you!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are doing well. I can definitely agree about how everyone seems to claim they have the absolute best CC cookie recipe.....and I have realized everyone just has their own opinion because often times they are NOT the best. The problem I've always had is that mine are always flat. If you find the perfect one.....let me know, but at the same time, I can realize if you don't want to share....you have worked hard for this!!! :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so I would email this to your yahoo email but I don't remember if it's still your correct email. I've bookmarked these pages to try these CC cookies, so here are some ideas:

    http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-favorite-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

    http://chaseandem.blogspot.com/2012/08/market-street-chocolate-chip-cookie.html

    And then I don't have the hyperlink for this one:

    Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
    barely adapted from Anna Olson, Food Network Canada

    Ingredients:
    3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    1/4 c. granulated sugar
    1 egg
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 c. all purpose flour
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

    2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.

    3. Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks.

    4. Using a standard-sized cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. (The tops will not brown, but do NOT cook longer than ten minutes.)

    5. Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely. Makes approximately 3 dozen. Try not to eat them all.

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've already tried this recipe, but it is one of my favs:
    Neiman Marcus cookies
    2 sticks butter
    1 c. brown sugar
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2.5 c. blended oatmeal
    2 c. flour
    8 oz. (or one bag) milk chocolate chips

    Cream butter and sugar together. Add the rest of the ingredients in the mixer. When you blend the oatmeal, add some chocolate (like 1/4 c. or to taste) chips in with the oats. Roll into balls on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.

    ReplyDelete